A total number of 94 inquiry proceedings have been initiated under PEEDA Act, 2006 during the period from August 2018 to-date against 205 officers of BS-17 to BS-19. Out of 96 inquiries, 50 have been finalized and 46 are in process, and action has been taken against 37 Prosecutors.
Inspections of Prosecutorial Work
A total of 155 inspections have been carried out from August 2018 to date.
Trainings of Prosecutors
A total of 1640 Prosecutors have been trained on following subjects:-
- Special Training on Adverse Outcome Cases
- Appeal Policy
- Charging Standard
- Promotion Training for ADPPs
- Promotions Training for DDPPs
- Promotions Training for DPGs
- Witness Protection Measures
- Special Training Forensic Evidence
- Police Prosecution Cooperation Training
- Trial Advocacy
- Special Training for Collection of Evidence
- Money Laundering
- Special Training on Case Management
- Sentencing Policy
- Counter Terrorism Course
Joint Police-Prosecution Trainings
- Joint Police-Prosecution trainings and workshops are being organized on regular basis at CPD, district and divisional level for improving Police-Prosecution coordination and production of quality reports u/s 173 Cr.PC.
- 75 Prosecutors and 64 Police officers were trained during the year 2019-20.
E-CAPRI-Online Learning Management System (LMS)
- Centre for Professional Development of Public Prosecutors, in collaboration with the British High Commission has introduced E-CAPRI – Online Learning Management System to enhance the knowledge and capacity of the prosecutors.
- From July 2019 to-date, 423 Prosecutors have been trained through this system.
- Training Modules have been assigned to 577 Prosecutors.
- Training Syllabus for promotion of DPGs and ADPPs has been prepared and notified on 12.10.2018 and 27.11.2018 respectively.
Convictions from August, 2018 till June, 2020
Nature of cases Number of cases Conviction Rate
- Cases triable by Magisterial and Sessions Courts 2,86,696 and conviction ratio is 63.24%
- Cases in ATC 1361 and conviction ratio 42.40%
- Cases in Drug Courts 3003 and convition ratio 98.47%
- The department has recruited 8 DPGs in May, 2019 and 123 ADPPs in January, 2019 through PPSC
- The requisition for recruitment of 17 ADPPs against disabled quota was sent to PPSC and PPSC has sent recommendations of 2 candidates and those have been posted.
- Requisitions for recruitment of 18 DDPPs and 90 ADPPs (BS-17) have been sent to PPSC and the process is likely to be finalized by October, 2020.
- 119 Assistant District Public Prosecutor (BS-17) have been promoted to the post of Deputy District Public Prosecutor (BS-18) in February, 2019.
- 11 Deputy District Public Prosecutor (BS-18) have been promoted to the post of District Public Prosecutor (BS-19).
- 08 Deputy Prosecutor General (BS-18) have been promoted to the post of Additional Prosecutor General (BS-19) in December, 2019.
Case Flow Management System
CFMS was initiated to monitor the progress of cases as well as performance of the Prosecutors. A total of 2,26,010 cases have been uploaded since the establishment of the system. A total of 43,546 cases have been uploaded from August, 2018 to July, 2020.
Punjab Witness Protection Rules 2019
Punjab Witness Protection Rules 2019 have been notified on 06.08.2019.
Punjab Witness Protection Board
The Punjab Witness Protection Board under Punjab Witness Protection Act, 2018 has been notified on 26.04.2019.
Punjab Witness Protection Units
The following two Witness Protection Units have been established under Punjab Witness Protection Act, 2018:-
- Unit-I relating to the offences of terrorism.
- Unit-II relating to the serious offences.
Nomination of Risk Assessment Officers
Prosecution Department has nominated 10 prosecutors as Risk Assessment Officers for Witness Protection Unit-I and 10 prosecutors for Witness Protection Unit-II.
Punjab Legal Aid Agency
Punjab Legal Aid Agency has been established on 29.10.2019 under Punjab Legal Aid Act, 2018. The aim of the agency is to provide the legal assistance to the indigent accused persons and females in family disputes relating to divorce, maintenance, dowry, dower and custody of children.
SOPs for Submission of Reports under Section 173 Cr.PC
The Prosecutor General, Punjab and Inspector General of Police, Punjab have issued joint SOPs to regulate timely submission of reports u/s 173 Cr.PC.
Prosecution – Investigation Committees
Following Prosecution – Investigation Committees have been constituted at various tiers to improve Police Prosecution coordination on 9.7.2019:-
- DIG/Investigation Monitoring, Punjab.
- Additional Prosecutor General, Punjab.
- AIG Legal
- District Public Prosecutor.
- SP Legal
Districts Rawalpindi, Gujranwala, Faisalabad and Multan
- SSP Investigation or SSP/ Regional Investigation Branch.
- District Public Prosecutor.
- SP Legal.
Other 31 Districts
- SP Investigation.
- Deputy/Assistant District Public Prosecutor, Punjab.
- DSP Legal.
- To review the cases of acquittal and bail (especially in murder cases).
- To determine the causes of failure of cases and make recommendations to relevant agencies for rectification.
Case Management Rules
Case Management Rules for expeditious disposal of cases have been framed which are under consideration in Lahore High Court, Lahore.
Punjab Sentencing Act, 2019
The Punjab Sentencing Act, 2019 has been enacted on 13.12.2019.
Checklist for submission of Serious Sexual Violence Cases reports
Checklist for submission of Serious Sexual Violence cases reports under section 173 Cr.PC has been drafted and approved.
Guidelines for Prosecutors Regarding Scrutiny of Police Reports
Guidelines for Prosecutors regarding scrutiny of police reports have been drafted and approved.
Guidelines for Anti-Terrorism Courts Prosecutors Regarding Scrutiny of Police Reports
Guidelines for Anti-Terrorism Courts Prosecutors regarding scrutiny of police reports have been drafted and approved.
Proposed Legislation and Policy Iniatives
Amendment In Existing Laws
Amendment in Existing Laws Amendments are being proposed in Punjab Criminal Prosecution Service Act, 2006 in order to empower prosecutors to drop and stop the cases where evidence is deficient so that burden of trial courts may be reduced.
Introduction of New Laws
CPD is an attached department of Prosecution and the mandate of CPD is to train the prosecutors in accordance with the international best practices. An Act is being drafted to give legal cover to CPD.
- Training Module for Advocacy in Trial and Appellate Courts has been developed and will be implemented by October, 2020.
- Training Modules for Terrorism Financing, Money Laundering and Cyber Laws are being developed and will be finalized by October, 2020.
SOPs for Early Police-Prosecution Coordination
SOPs for early Police-Prosecution Coordination for successful prosecution of cases will be developed by October, 2020.
SOPs for Witness Protection
SOPs for Witness Protection have been developed and will be finalized and implemented by October, 2020.
Punjab Criminal Prosecution Service Inspectorate Rules
Punjab Criminal Prosecution Service Inspectorate Rules are being drafted and will be finalized by December, 2020.
Punjab Legal Aid Rules
Punjab Legal Aid Rules, Service Rules for Punjab Legal Aid Agency, Accreditation of Lawyers and Terms and Conditions for the post of Director General, Punjab Legal Aid Agency, have been framed and are being finalized.
Bio-metric Attendance System
Bio-metric Attendance System is being introduced in all offices of prosecution and will be completed in financial year 2021-22.
Guidance on Special Measures for Prosecutors regarding Witness Protection
Guidance on Special Measures for Prosecutors regarding Witness Protection have been developed and will be finalized by October, 2020.
Standard Operating Procedure Guidelines for the Collection and use of Confession
Standard Operating Procedure Guidelines for the Collection and use of Confession have been developed and will be finalized by October, 2020.
Standard Operating Procedure for Identification Parade
Standard Operating Procedure for Identification Parade have been developed and will be finalized by October, 2020.
Standard Operating Procedure for Collection of Finger Prints
Standard Operating Procedure for Collection of Finger Prints have been developed and will be finalized by October, 2020.